Skip to main content

Album Review - Conway (1978)


Boogie Grass Band
I've Just Got To Know (How Loving You Would Be)
She's A Woman All The Way
Julie
One Night Honeymoon
Your Love Had Taken Me That High
I've Been Around Enough To Know
My Woman Knows
That's All She Wrote
You Were Named Co-Respondent


Conway's final Owen Bradley produced album, 1978's Conway, shows his readiness to step outside the boundaries of the traditional sound that had so far defined his country career.

It's still there on songs like I've Just Got to Know and My Woman Knows, but the sexy One Night Honeymoon has an edgier vibe he would continue to explore in years to come as he took on the role of co-producer on his albums. The bluegrass-tinged Boogie Grass Band, the album's first cut and lead single which pays homage to Bill Monroe and the Allman Brothers, became a concert staple for years to come. (It's also my least favorite song Conway ever recorded, simply because bluegrass music isn't my cup of tea.) This record also features Conway's version of I've Been Around Enough to Know, a song that became Dukes of Hazzard star John Schneider's first #1 in 1984.

Not to be confused with his #1 hit single Julia from 1988, Julie tells the story of a man whose love (possibly even his first love as the lyrics lead me to believe she was more experienced than him) has left him behind to start a new life. It ends with a wish that every man had a girl like Julie "sleeping softly in his soul." The vulnerability in Conway's voice is the perfect fit for this song, my personal favorite on the album.

Ending with the humorous You Were Named Co-Respondent, Conway marks the end of an era with a hint of new beginnings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Loretta ~ 4/14/32-10/4/22

In 10 days my parents will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. One of their favorite stories from early in their marriage was mom coming out of the bathroom one night to see Loretta on some random TV show. She yelled out, "Loretta Lynn!" Dad, asleep in his chair as usual, went running for the front door. When mom asked where he was going, he replied, "to let her in!" Needless to say, they both became so hysterical they never did see Loretta's TV appearance! Loretta was always their favorite. Then I came along and it was Conway who captured my heart, but of course they were a package deal. If you loved one, you loved the other. I was born by emergency c-section. While mom was recovering in the hospital her neighbor gave her a paperback copy of the Coal Miner's Daughter book, which I now have in my collection. The first time my parents left me with a babysitter was to see the movie in the theater. In 1986 I saw Loretta at our local fair. I was only 9 an

40 Years of The Clown

The Clown is one of two songs (the other being The Rose ) that made me sit up and take notice of Conway as a little girl in the mid '80s. I guess you could say he held my attention.  The Clown was written by Charlie Chalmers, Sandra Rhodes, Brenda Barnett & Wayne Carson (who also wrote I See The Want To In Your Eyes ) on the banks of a river in Arkansas in the middle of the night. After cutting a demo they realized the song was a perfect fit for Conway. When it arrived at his Twitty City office Conway loved the song, but he also loved the songwriters' voices on the demo, and in typical Conway fashion wanted to help them land a recording contract. When he contacted them they explained that the song was written for him, and the biggest way he could help them out would be to record it. He did just that, and even released it as the lead single from his first album for Elektra Records, Southern Comfort .  Recorded at Nashville’s Sound Stage Studios in late September 1981, it w

10 More Conway Albums Digitally Reissued

Ten Conway albums have been digitally reissued by Universal Music Group over the past week, all MCA titles from 1975-1987.  With the exception of Borderline , which was released on CD in 1987, and Mr. T , which was repackaged by MCA Special Products as Red Neckin' Love Makin' Night , the other 8 titles have been out of circulation since their original release on vinyl and cassette. The High Priest of Country Music  is a favorite of many because it includes the worldwide smash  Don't Cry Joni , and Cross Winds , seen as a remarkable turning point in Conway's career, features 3 #1 singles, Don't Take It Away , I May Never Get To Heaven , and Happy Birthday Darlin' .  Now and Then is notable in that it includes re-recordings of five of his biggest rock singles from the late '50s, and  Heart & Soul is proof of why Conway is called the King of Country Soul. UMG and Conway's estate are reissuing 10 albums per year until his entire discography is restored