Skip to main content

My Lifelong Love Affair with Conway Twitty

As a little girl growing up in the 1980's classic country music was the soundtrack of my formative years. My parents' favorites including Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, and Merle Haggard were always playing in our home, but it was Conway Twitty, an artist I discovered on my own, who captured my heart and has never let it go.


My lifelong love affair with Conway began when I heard The Clown and The Rose in close succession. These songs came out in 1982 and 1983 and since I would've only been 5 at the time I assume it was a few years later when I really got into country radio that I first heard them. Even at that young age I remember thinking his voice was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard, and that opinion has never wavered. 

In 1990 my parents started taking me to country music concerts. I was incredibly fortunate to see so many amazing artists, but Conway was always just out of reach. A few different times in the late '80s and early '90s he performed in Glens Falls, New York, in late November, but fears of winter weather and bad roads kept us home. In the spring of 1993 it was announced that he would be at the Vermont State Fair on September 5th. FINALLY my chance was coming to see my favorite, and the weekend before my 16th birthday, no less! 

Conway suffered a ruptured abdominal aneurysm and was taken from us on June 5, 1993. 

I still remember sitting on the couch that tragic Saturday morning when the news come over the radio. I think my own heart stopped in disbelief. Knowing I wouldn't be seeing him in concert 3 months later as I'd planned was devastating, and what made it even harder to comprehend is the fact that I had lost an aunt to the exact same thing a mere 2 weeks before on May 22. (Then on July 4th my father had his first heart attack. Let's just say 1993 was a really bad year.)

Apparently seeing Conway live was never meant to be, but my love for his music never diminished. It only continued to grow. I bought The Conway Twitty Collection box set in 1995 with some of my high school graduation money. It was the first box set I ever bought and a pretty big purchase for me at the time. I tucked news clippings and commemorative magazines that came out after his death in my bookcase. Any time I saw a Conway item at a flea market or yard sale I picked it up. "Conway is still the best" is a phrase anyone who has ever discussed music with me has heard at some point. 

For nearly 25 years after his death Conway remained a quiet but important part of my life, and then another phase of the love affair began: I started seriously collecting anything I could find on him and reading everything I could get my hands on to learn more about the man I was coming to realize meant more to me than I had ever realized. I'd kept him tucked away in a private part of my heart and that love was bursting to come out.

My plans for this blog are for it to be a celebration of all things Conway - the music, the memories, the memorabilia. Conway fans don't have a place we can go to honor our hero. His gift to us, Twitty City, was tragically dismantled in 1994, the victim of a bitter battle over his estate. Nashville never gave him the credit he was due in life and that certainly hasn't changed in death. It's up to his fans to keep his legacy alive, and that's exactly what I hope to do.

To borrow a line from his 1990 hit single, I'm crazy in love with Conway. Always have been, always will be.

Comments

  1. Congrats on your new blog, Melissa ... it's a wonderful tribute to someone who has made an impact on your life in so many ways. Your passion for his music already shines through. We
    wish you much success ...
    Ann, and JUNE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you had not gotten to see him in concert, but I didn't realize how close you almost came to. I am sorry you didn't get to. Great idea for a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I can barely keep up with one blog for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great was tp honour "your" guy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Loretta ~ 4/14/32-10/4/22

In 10 days my parents will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. One of their favorite stories from early in their marriage was mom coming out of the bathroom one night to see Loretta on some random TV show. She yelled out, "Loretta Lynn!" Dad, asleep in his chair as usual, went running for the front door. When mom asked where he was going, he replied, "to let her in!" Needless to say, they both became so hysterical they never did see Loretta's TV appearance! Loretta was always their favorite. Then I came along and it was Conway who captured my heart, but of course they were a package deal. If you loved one, you loved the other. I was born by emergency c-section. While mom was recovering in the hospital her neighbor gave her a paperback copy of the Coal Miner's Daughter book, which I now have in my collection. The first time my parents left me with a babysitter was to see the movie in the theater. In 1986 I saw Loretta at our local fair. I was only 9 an

40 Years of The Clown

The Clown is one of two songs (the other being The Rose ) that made me sit up and take notice of Conway as a little girl in the mid '80s. I guess you could say he held my attention.  The Clown was written by Charlie Chalmers, Sandra Rhodes, Brenda Barnett & Wayne Carson (who also wrote I See The Want To In Your Eyes ) on the banks of a river in Arkansas in the middle of the night. After cutting a demo they realized the song was a perfect fit for Conway. When it arrived at his Twitty City office Conway loved the song, but he also loved the songwriters' voices on the demo, and in typical Conway fashion wanted to help them land a recording contract. When he contacted them they explained that the song was written for him, and the biggest way he could help them out would be to record it. He did just that, and even released it as the lead single from his first album for Elektra Records, Southern Comfort .  Recorded at Nashville’s Sound Stage Studios in late September 1981, it w

10 More Conway Albums Digitally Reissued

Ten Conway albums have been digitally reissued by Universal Music Group over the past week, all MCA titles from 1975-1987.  With the exception of Borderline , which was released on CD in 1987, and Mr. T , which was repackaged by MCA Special Products as Red Neckin' Love Makin' Night , the other 8 titles have been out of circulation since their original release on vinyl and cassette. The High Priest of Country Music  is a favorite of many because it includes the worldwide smash  Don't Cry Joni , and Cross Winds , seen as a remarkable turning point in Conway's career, features 3 #1 singles, Don't Take It Away , I May Never Get To Heaven , and Happy Birthday Darlin' .  Now and Then is notable in that it includes re-recordings of five of his biggest rock singles from the late '50s, and  Heart & Soul is proof of why Conway is called the King of Country Soul. UMG and Conway's estate are reissuing 10 albums per year until his entire discography is restored