Skip to main content

Conway Featured in July's Now Dig This Magazine

Over the years Conway has been featured numerous times in the British rock & roll magazine Now Dig This. He's been the subject of cover stories, in depth articles, album and box set reviews. They even reprinted the transcript of his six-hour radio special Heartthrob: Then and Now from 1981, which was a highlight for me until I was able to track down a copy of the entire show. (Six hours of Conway interviews = Heaven.)

It's always exciting (and rare) when something "new" on Conway becomes available, so I was very pleased to learn that a "vintage interview" with him would be featured in this month's issue (#460, July 2021).

It's actually a reprint of an interview that was originally published in the August/September 1970 issue of Rockville International magazine, and was conducted over the course of two meetings with Conway in Amsterdam and Sweden during his April 1970 European tour. 

What's odd is that a mere 5 years removed from his rock career Conway is quite inaccurate in his recollections from that time, so much so that the editor includes many annotations in parentheses to set the record straight! 

What I found most fascinating is this interview was conducted prior to any of his Sun recordings being released, and he didn't seem all that eager for them to ever see the light of day! He also mentions that he especially liked the singles he cut for ABC-Paramount. All and all it's an interesting look at how he felt about his rock years as he was becoming a country music superstar. 

Did I mention there's also a full cover photo of him on the back cover?

This issue (and most back issues) can be purchased on the Now Dig This website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Loretta ~ 4/14/32-10/4/22

In 10 days my parents will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. One of their favorite stories from early in their marriage was mom coming out of the bathroom one night to see Loretta on some random TV show. She yelled out, "Loretta Lynn!" Dad, asleep in his chair as usual, went running for the front door. When mom asked where he was going, he replied, "to let her in!" Needless to say, they both became so hysterical they never did see Loretta's TV appearance! Loretta was always their favorite. Then I came along and it was Conway who captured my heart, but of course they were a package deal. If you loved one, you loved the other. I was born by emergency c-section. While mom was recovering in the hospital her neighbor gave her a paperback copy of the Coal Miner's Daughter book, which I now have in my collection. The first time my parents left me with a babysitter was to see the movie in the theater. In 1986 I saw Loretta at our local fair. I was only 9 an

My Lifelong Love Affair with Conway Twitty

As a little girl growing up in the 1980's classic country music was the soundtrack of my formative years. My parents' favorites including Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, and Merle Haggard were always playing in our home, but it was Conway Twitty, an artist I discovered on my own, who captured my heart and has never let it go. My lifelong love affair with Conway began when I heard The Clown and  The Rose in close succession . These songs came out in 1982 and 1983 and since I would've only been 5 at the time I assume it was a few years later when I really got into country radio that I first heard them. Even at that young age I remember thinking his voice was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard, and that opinion has never wavered.  In 1990 my parents started taking me to country music concerts. I was incredibly fortunate to see so many amazing artists, but Conway was always just out of reach. A few different times in the late '80s and early '90s he performed in Glen

Conway Concert Poster Mystery

A couple years ago someone in a Conway Facebook group posted a picture of a concert poster that was going up for sale at auction. As I've been known to do on more than one occasion when it comes to Conway, I went into full detective mode. In the photo I could just barely make out the name of the auction house, and a Google search told me it was in Pennsylvania. It was a silent auction held the first Saturday of each month, with bidders writing down their bid on a tag placed at each item. I called and was told that proxy bids could be placed by anyone who couldn't be present the day of the auction, but items had to be picked up in person. They don't ship anything. In the HUGE state of Pennsylvania, what are the chances I would know someone who lives nearby? I could only think of one person I know in the state *period*, a fellow Conway collector in fact, and as luck would have it he told me he drives past this particular town frequently on the weekends. I placed my bid by pho