Skip to main content

5 Facts About God Bless America Again

As we prepare to celebrate America's birthday this weekend, how many of these facts about the patriotic hymn God Bless America Again did you know?

1) Written by Bobby Bare and Boyce Hawkins, the song has been covered by countless artists from Tex Ritter to Ray Charles, but Conway and Loretta actually recorded it twice. Doyle Wilburn did the recitation part when it was initially recorded as the title track of Loretta's third gospel album. By the time the record was released in 1972 Conway & Loretta's wildly successful partnership had begun so Doyle's voice was replaced with Conway's. The album doesn't even credit him. 

2) In 1976 they recorded the song again for their United Talent album, and it became the "B" side of their hit The Letter. Though it didn't chart it received significant airplay due to its release during the United States Bicentennial.

3) Concert goers in the early days of Conway & Loretta's shows together (1971/72 era) would have witnessed a magical moment when a huge American flag dropped down from the ceiling, the lights went down and a spotlight hit the flag at the beginning of the song.

4) In addition to performing God Bless America Again in concert, it was also included on Loretta's 1981 television special The Lady, The Legend (with the entire cast of the show, not as a duet), and in this classic performance from Madison Square Garden in 1972's Nashville at the Garden.

5) In today's pop culture, Conway & Loretta's version of God Bless America Again can be heard during the closing credits of the 2012 HBO made-for-TV movie Game Change about Sarah Palin's role in the 2008 presidential election. It was also played during the opening scene of the 2009 movie The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard starring Jeremy Piven.

Did you ever have the honor of seeing Conway & Loretta perform God Bless America Again live in concert? If so, please leave a comment and tell me about it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Loretta ~ 4/14/32-10/4/22

In 10 days my parents will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. One of their favorite stories from early in their marriage was mom coming out of the bathroom one night to see Loretta on some random TV show. She yelled out, "Loretta Lynn!" Dad, asleep in his chair as usual, went running for the front door. When mom asked where he was going, he replied, "to let her in!" Needless to say, they both became so hysterical they never did see Loretta's TV appearance! Loretta was always their favorite. Then I came along and it was Conway who captured my heart, but of course they were a package deal. If you loved one, you loved the other. I was born by emergency c-section. While mom was recovering in the hospital her neighbor gave her a paperback copy of the Coal Miner's Daughter book, which I now have in my collection. The first time my parents left me with a babysitter was to see the movie in the theater. In 1986 I saw Loretta at our local fair. I was only 9 an

My Lifelong Love Affair with Conway Twitty

As a little girl growing up in the 1980's classic country music was the soundtrack of my formative years. My parents' favorites including Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, and Merle Haggard were always playing in our home, but it was Conway Twitty, an artist I discovered on my own, who captured my heart and has never let it go. My lifelong love affair with Conway began when I heard The Clown and  The Rose in close succession . These songs came out in 1982 and 1983 and since I would've only been 5 at the time I assume it was a few years later when I really got into country radio that I first heard them. Even at that young age I remember thinking his voice was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard, and that opinion has never wavered.  In 1990 my parents started taking me to country music concerts. I was incredibly fortunate to see so many amazing artists, but Conway was always just out of reach. A few different times in the late '80s and early '90s he performed in Glen

Conway Concert Poster Mystery

A couple years ago someone in a Conway Facebook group posted a picture of a concert poster that was going up for sale at auction. As I've been known to do on more than one occasion when it comes to Conway, I went into full detective mode. In the photo I could just barely make out the name of the auction house, and a Google search told me it was in Pennsylvania. It was a silent auction held the first Saturday of each month, with bidders writing down their bid on a tag placed at each item. I called and was told that proxy bids could be placed by anyone who couldn't be present the day of the auction, but items had to be picked up in person. They don't ship anything. In the HUGE state of Pennsylvania, what are the chances I would know someone who lives nearby? I could only think of one person I know in the state *period*, a fellow Conway collector in fact, and as luck would have it he told me he drives past this particular town frequently on the weekends. I placed my bid by pho