Skip to main content

June 1993 Ephemera

This weekend we remember Conway on the 28th anniversary of his death. How can it possibly have been that long? I still remember that tragic day and what I was doing when I heard the news like it was yesterday. I know some people probably think it's crazy to feel such a strong emotional attachment to someone you never met, but short of the loss of close family and beloved pets, I've shed more tears for him than anyone else. Even after all these years this is a very difficult day for me.

One of my favorite things to collect on Conway is ephemera. Paper items are so readily thrown away by most people, making them more of a challenge to find and all the more special when you do. Today's spotlight is on some of my most notable newspapers, clippings, and magazines from June 1993.

Thanks to good friends and fellow collectors I've been able to get my hands on some of the newspapers that came out in Nashville the week of his death, which was also Fan Fair week. This is the front section of The Tennessean from Sunday, June 6th. They did an amazing job with their coverage in spite of his death coming as such a complete shock to everyone. I adore the photo they used on the front page and would love to have an 8x10 of it.

The day after Conway's June 9th memorial service The Tennessean included a special 12 page insert in the paper titled Final Touches. It's a beautiful retrospective on his life and career.

The Nashville Banner from June 7th

Various commemorative magazines

These are newspaper clippings from USA Today and my small local paper, both the front page and inside articles. This was long before my collection officially began, but I cut them out and tucked them inside one of the tribute magazines. I've never been a very organized person so I can't help but think my preserving them in this way was a premonition of the collector I would one day become.
 
Billboard magazine remembers

I found People magazine's single page tribute to be a huge disappointment. For a rock & roll pioneer and country music legend it was woefully inadequate, especially when other musicians have had entire commemorative issues dedicated to them. 

On the other hand, in a life void of scandal unlike so many of his peers, they summed him up as exactly what he was, a country gentleman. And that's one of the many, many reasons I will always be...crazy in love with Conway.

Do you remember where you were and what you were doing when you found out we'd lost Conway? Did you save any newspapers or magazines from that time?

Comments

  1. I sure do I was at work as the Front End Mgr@RiteDrugs in Pacolet,SC. I called my boss crying m said I had to go home. He said I couldnt n I told bimbo was going n if he didnt like it he knew where to pick up my keys at. Needless to say I went home he didnt come get my keys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have no idea what I was doing back then. I wish I had saved newspapers so I could give them to you. XO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Loretta ~ 4/14/32-10/4/22

In 10 days my parents will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. One of their favorite stories from early in their marriage was mom coming out of the bathroom one night to see Loretta on some random TV show. She yelled out, "Loretta Lynn!" Dad, asleep in his chair as usual, went running for the front door. When mom asked where he was going, he replied, "to let her in!" Needless to say, they both became so hysterical they never did see Loretta's TV appearance! Loretta was always their favorite. Then I came along and it was Conway who captured my heart, but of course they were a package deal. If you loved one, you loved the other. I was born by emergency c-section. While mom was recovering in the hospital her neighbor gave her a paperback copy of the Coal Miner's Daughter book, which I now have in my collection. The first time my parents left me with a babysitter was to see the movie in the theater. In 1986 I saw Loretta at our local fair. I was only 9 an

My Lifelong Love Affair with Conway Twitty

As a little girl growing up in the 1980's classic country music was the soundtrack of my formative years. My parents' favorites including Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, and Merle Haggard were always playing in our home, but it was Conway Twitty, an artist I discovered on my own, who captured my heart and has never let it go. My lifelong love affair with Conway began when I heard The Clown and  The Rose in close succession . These songs came out in 1982 and 1983 and since I would've only been 5 at the time I assume it was a few years later when I really got into country radio that I first heard them. Even at that young age I remember thinking his voice was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard, and that opinion has never wavered.  In 1990 my parents started taking me to country music concerts. I was incredibly fortunate to see so many amazing artists, but Conway was always just out of reach. A few different times in the late '80s and early '90s he performed in Glen

Conway Concert Poster Mystery

A couple years ago someone in a Conway Facebook group posted a picture of a concert poster that was going up for sale at auction. As I've been known to do on more than one occasion when it comes to Conway, I went into full detective mode. In the photo I could just barely make out the name of the auction house, and a Google search told me it was in Pennsylvania. It was a silent auction held the first Saturday of each month, with bidders writing down their bid on a tag placed at each item. I called and was told that proxy bids could be placed by anyone who couldn't be present the day of the auction, but items had to be picked up in person. They don't ship anything. In the HUGE state of Pennsylvania, what are the chances I would know someone who lives nearby? I could only think of one person I know in the state *period*, a fellow Conway collector in fact, and as luck would have it he told me he drives past this particular town frequently on the weekends. I placed my bid by pho